If you own a refrigerated truck, or fleet of trucks, then it’s vital that you get the right type of cover.
Below is a guide to refrigerated truck insurance, including the types of cover you can get and ways to save money.
- Third party – Third party insurance will enable any trucks you cover to be driven legally. It will however only provide protection for other drivers if you or one of your drivers is at fault for the collisions. This is the cheapest insurance option.
- Comprehensive – A comprehensive policy will provide full protection for your vehicle(s), regardless of who is at fault for the collision. A comprehensive policy usually covers fire and theft too.
- Liability claims – Liability claims are always a risk when out on the roads. If a member of public were to be injured or killed due to negligence on behalf of one of your drivers then it could be devastating if you don’t have the right cover in place. Therefore having public liability cover included in your policy is always wise.
- Fleet insurance – If you need to insure multiple trucks together then you can take out a fleet policy. A fleet insurance policy keeps everything simple and usually works out much cheaper than insuring the vehicles separately.
- Contents cover – Contents cover is always a must for refrigerated trucks. If the refrigeration were to fail in one of your trucks and the contents were spoiled, then contents cover would ensure you were compensated. The same is true if the contents were damaged or stolen.
- Make trucks secure – Security is always a big factor that insurance providers take into consideration when calculating the cost of a policy. Therefore if you want to lower the price of your insurance, you should take any steps you can to make your trucks more secure, including getting trackers installed.
- Get as many quotes as possible – Getting quotes from as many providers as possible is another excellent way to save money on refrigerated truck insurance since it prevents you from overspending.
- Hire good drivers – Hiring reliable drivers will also help to keep the costs of your insurance down.